2012-01-10

Hardwood Floors and Noise

By FAF Staff Writer, (169 words) Posted in Hardwood Flooring on February 28, 2011
There are (20) comments permalink

I was just visiting a friend back east and the first thing I noticed when I opened the door to their beautiful loft was the gorgeous hardwood flooring. What did I notice next? The unbelievable noise I made with my boots as I walked across the floor. It was so loud it almost sounded as though the sound was amplified with a microphone and sound system.

I come from a home that has wall to wall carpet so perhaps I am more sensitive to sounds transmission. However, the noise seemed quite disruptive. When you put leather boots against hardwood flooring, you get quite a racket. Keep in mind these were real hardwood floors, not laminate which tend to be even more noisy when walked upon. For this reason, it is recommended to use some sort of flooring sound barrier under your hardwood floors. Otherwise you might be thrilled with the look of your hardwood floors but not so much the noise that is produced when they are walked upon.

image: blog cloud comment Wholesale Flooring Pro posted on: February 28, 2011

These is a great point and not one that people often think of when choosing flooring and I know noise is a big concern for some people - usually after the fact. I wonder if the noise you noticed might also have been because it was in a loft - high ceilings with unusual angles can amplify the sound. Making sure you're choosing the right flooring for the space is definitely important - not to mention your excellent observation that you need to choose the right kind of installation. Thanks for bringing this up.

Laminate Flooring posted on: March 4, 2011

I think that flooring sound barrier is a great solution for laminate flooring, since walking on this type of floor in shoes can be really loud...

Clark posted on: March 15, 2011

I just got some gorgeouswalnut flooring which doesn't seem noisy at all

Justinrobert posted on: March 21, 2011

The racket with hardwood floor also could be because of echoing sound in the house, I have hardwood floors in san francisco there is sound but not so intense

LONE TREE Oak Flooring posted on: March 23, 2011

The hardwood floor designs look beautiful, but the noise part is the only disadvantage.

Jamy Spencer posted on: April 11, 2011

The majority of problems with squeaking is actually a subfloor problem, which you have with any flooring. People commonly attribute this to hardwood floors because older homes with noisy subfloors are more likely to have hardwood floors.To fix the problem you have to secure the subfloor to the joists better.

Bamboo Flooring posted on: May 3, 2011

Mostly hard surfaces create noise and hardwood floors are one of them. Exotic Wood Floors are good options.

Mike posted on: May 4, 2011

Well yeah I agree.... we should use sound barriers and sub floor with some wax underlay paper. The end result I hope for is a limed wood plank floor that looks like it was in a 100 year old farmhouse.

Pat posted on: May 17, 2011

I grew up in a large family of five boys with hard wood. My mom used throw rugs to help mitigate the noise of echos. I don't remember it being that noisy and think the rugs helped a lot.

Reclaimed Flooring Co posted on: May 19, 2011

Installing an appropriate underlay between the wood floor and sub-floor will help to reduce the noise problem. Minimum of 3.5 inches of extra material would be fine.

New kitchen cabinets posted on: July 21, 2011

This is excellent topic. I think the noise problem can be reduce by proper installation of floor. I have install a floor before 2 years and I didn't get any issues. But, Thanks for the excellent advice. This will surely help me in future.
New kitchen cabinets

botox Atlanta posted on: July 23, 2011


Good write up. I often wondered how to go about that. Sometimes we waste time thinking about
how to do something rather than just getting in there and doing it. Its such a waste of
time that leads to even more procrastination... before you know it, your way behind on everything and you have no desire to get caught up! Whew, better just to keep up with stuff as best you can. In the long run, that was definitely given me much more peace in my life.

botox Atlanta

Empire Today posted on: August 1, 2011

I agree with Jamy. Also any type of floor besides carpeting is going to be louder when you are walking on it with big boots on. I have hardwood flooring and dont walk on it with Shoes on, mostly because I want to keep it looking nice but also because of the noise. It is not loud at all when I wear slippers or just socks.

Heated timber floors posted on: August 29, 2011

This is excellent topic. I think the noise problem can be reduce by proper installation of floor. I think the noise problem can be reduce by proper installation of floor. I have install a floor before 2 years and I didn't get any issues. Making sure you're choosing the right flooring for the space is definitely important - not to mention your excellent observation that you need to choose the right kind of installation. Thanks for bringing this up.
Heated timber floors

Flooring Company posted on: August 30, 2011

Hi,

Its really an informative talk to discuss something about floorings and its related issues.Timber floors really create the noise pollution, but upto some extent it cab be avoided.

Great post!!!

Thanks

Flooring Company

Arav posted on: September 24, 2011

Such noise on a hardwood floor. It's quite unexpected.As 1st one said, using consistent height may be useful.

Kent Parker posted on: October 8, 2011

Typically, engineered wood products are made from the same hardwoods and softwoods used to manufacture lumber. That’s why I always prefer the engineered wood. web design

Oyan posted on: October 28, 2011

For improving a home a lots of things are involved like kitchen remodeling,Bathroom remodeling, choosing best floor or whether it'll be of Wood or tile's and so on. For these purpose,here a lots of stuff to get the right direction to choose the best option. And I more liked the step by step approach for every details.

burleson flooring store

refinishing-hardwood-floors-with posted on: November 22, 2011

Hard wood floor often making the noise but it does,nt matter at all...
Refinishing hardwood floors without sanding

wentzwood posted on: December 30, 2011

Old floors on joist it was the way they did it back then east coast has alot of history and wood floors that part of country love it.wentzwood arizona


View the original article here